Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Melody - Serge Gainsbourg



"Histoire de Melody Nelson is a 1971 concept album by controversial French songwriter Serge Gainsbourg. The Lolita-esque pseudo-autobiographical plot involves the middle-aged Gainsbourg unintentionally colliding his 26-horsepower 1910 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost into teenage nymphet Melody Nelson's bicycle, and the subsequent seduction and romance that ensues."

- From Wikipedia


I first heard this album at Alison Boland's pre-screening barbeque on a warm sunny day back in May. It was on a seduction mix made by one of Alison's friends from Arkansas, and what first caught me was its likeness to some Beck songs (specifically Paper Tiger and Dark Star). I then learned that Beck is a big fan of Serge Gainsbourg, and since I'm a Beck fan that means I've been a 2nd degree Serge Gainsbourg fan since around 7th grade and have only now made that fated connection.

Anyway, after it's release a series of music videos was made for each song and released as a short film-ish thing called "Melody." Below are links to all 7 parts*.

Part 1 - Melody
Part 2 - Ballade de Melody Nelson
Part 3 - Valse de Melody
Part 4 - Ah! Melody
Part 5 - L'Hôtel Particulier
Part 6 - En Melody
Part 7 - Cargo Culte

*Best if viewed with a glass of wine between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

2 comments:

Esteban said...

I cant believe i watched all of Melody late last night...there was virtually nothing to hold my attention within the video, but it held...

Lisonay said...

this entry comes up when you google me!
thanks for the props ma' man!